Wednesday 19 March 2014

Analysing Magazine Front Cover, Contents and Double Page Spread - 3. Double Page Spread

Double Page Spread Annotation

This is an analysis of the double page spread of the edition of NME which I have used for my stimulus. I took the photo using my IPhone camera 



This is the double page spread. All four photos have been taken specifically by NME. Each photo is a medium shot, catching the upper half of the band members bodies. We can also see their facial expressions. Each photo is taken in portrait style. They were probably taken in colour and then edited into black and white before being published. The double page spread feature links to the masthead. This is another part of NME's house style. This article features Arctic Monkeys and their new album. From left to right, we can see Matt Helders (Drummer/ Backing Vocals), Jamie Cook (Rhythm Guitar), Alex Turner (Lead Vocals and Lead Guitar) and Nick O'Malley. Two of the portraits are placed each side over the two pages. All four band members are looking directly at the camera. Each picture is individual based on their look. All of their clothes have a similarity about them such as button up shirts with rolled up sleeves.

Each of the red columns placed either side of the double page spread stand out as the double page spreads colour scheme is mainly black and white. The white font contrasts with the red background and makes the font stand out. The other smaller pictures are slanted and go into more depth about a particular area (This case it is screenshots taken from their video for Do I Wanna Know?)

Like the front cover and contents page, this double page spread looks very well organised and structured. The layout again is simple yet effective and I will base my double page spread on this particular article. I have also come to realise that I need to change my main image on my front cover and feature four band members rather than three. This is because my research supports four pieces and when making my double page spread, I will struggle to place 3 band members over two pages as this will look un-organised and will not work.      

No comments:

Post a Comment